Friday, May 27, 2011

The Dilemma

*imdb.com

This is the other movie I saw at 30,000 feet. You could argue that my opinion is tainted by the fact that I'd already been traveling 24 hours straight when I saw it. But really, I think this film would be just as bad on the ground, after a nap and a shower, on the best day of my life. 

I'm beginning to be convinced that any movie starring Vince Vaughn is an automatic no-go. The weird thing is, I want to like him. People ("I ain't people!") say that he's a lovable 'everyman', and I can understand that. He's cool, he's funny, he's the kind of guy you want to be friends with. It seems he might even be charming if he wasn't always playing an insensitive buffoon who's unknowingly or knowingly being a jerk about things.

Unfortunately, Kevin James is also a good sign of a bad movie. He's hilarious, and I love him in the series "King of Queens" and in "Hitch". In fact, I wish the latter was all about him and not so much about Will Smith and Eva Mendez... but I digress.

In "The Dilemma", best friends Ronny (Vince Vaughn) and Nick (Kevin James) are in the middle of closing a deal with Dodge to make electric cars with muscle-car sounding engines. Ronny discovers things with his 'perfect couple' friends Nick and Geneva (Winona Ryder) aren't what they seem. They're both having affairs, him with a shady massage parlor and her with a tatooed, yet sensitive young Channing Tatum. In Ronny's efforts to spare Nick's feelings and his sanity, Ronny threatens his own relationship with his girlfriend Beth (Jennifer Connelly).

It's obvious from the plot that this movie does not promote good values. Even the better relationship in the film has unmarrieds living together. (I realize this is the norm for Hollywood, but that doesn't make it right. It's just not right.) The worst part is that Geneva is totally unrepentant and justifies her adulterous behavior. With a cast full of talented actors, I wish I could like this film, but even the edited airline version can't remove all the bad from this film. See, the thing about a comedy is, it's supposed to make you laugh. This one fails in that regard. Miserably. And not just because I'd been on the plane 4 hours too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment