Monday, March 7, 2011

The Proposal

*imdb.com
The other day my sister-in-law requested I review a few romantic comedies she was thinking of adding to her collection. This particular movie falls under the classic “It’s great! …except for that one part” category. Which is a shame. Because it really is great… except for that one part. (Ok, maybe even a few parts...)

T
he Proposal stars Sandra Bullock – one of my personal favorites! – and Ryan Reynolds. She plays Margaret, a no-nonsense, needs nothing, not a nice person boss to Andrew, a funny, easy-going, loves his family kind of guy. It’s like a “Two Weeks Notice” role-reversal, only without the granola Save-the-World overtones.

Suddenly, she finds herself on the verge of being deported to Canada, so she cons him into marrying her so she can stay in the U.S. As ridiculous as the plot sounds (and is), this movie is hilarious! Reynolds and Bullock have great chemistry and great comedic timing; it helps that the script is full of witty one-liners, and has a great supporting cast, too. It really is one of the funniest romantic comedies I’ve seen in a long time!

BUT!

Unfortunately, Hollywood writers feel that quick wit and talent isn’t enough. Naturally, the two main leads are forced to share a room – mistakenly, no one thinks people can be morally clean before marriage – and if that’s not enough, they end up naked at the same time (for whatever reasons they invented). The bare backsides and close-to-full-monty’s are completely gratuitous. This, and the scene where she’s taken to a club for her bachelorette party totally ruined the film for me! Actually, that one was almost worse! Though it’s intended to be awkwardly funny, it’s more take-me-to-my-happy-place uncomfortable. I closed my eyes through this one, and have tried really hard to disassociate the song they played from the scene they played it in.

So, as much as I loved this film, I can only recommend it if viewed on a Clearplay or purchased through CleanPlayDVDs.com. Hurry on that last one though - it looks like they'll be shut down on the Ides of March... "Beware the Ides!"

No comments:

Post a Comment